Saturday 19 July 2014

More treasure!

Japanese Sweet Potato
My youngest garden gnome and I have had a busy and productive day!  While I planted 16 Rainbow Chard, 8 Kale and 8 Cauliflowers into the front bed B was busy planting snow peas along the fence and then went treasure hunting... oh boy did he find some. A 2.3kg Sweet Potato hiding near the passionfruit vine... and some smaller ones that apparently needed harvesting now! :-)  Can anyone confirm for us these are japanese sweet potatoes?  Bright pink outside and white inside.

On my way out to the worm farm for some castings for the new seedlings I spied MORE flowers on Pop's Super Toms.  Shhhh NO-ONE tell them its winter! ;-)
Pop's Super Tom
I definitely need to make some watercress soup as my one little pot is now escaping from its grow bed since it's so happy!

Watercress

Then I lifted the top floor off of the worm farm and went for the good level down the bottom... OHHH the whole thing was ready!  There were only two twigs and some egg shells left unprocessed in this whole layer and I only fished out two worms which were returned to the currently active layer.
Worm CastingsBlack GoldWorm Farm

It seems Rex and Balla Balla have found some treasure too!  Sadly it's the chook poo I put on the Curry leaf, Bay and Mulberry trees!  


Now keep your fingers crossed my seedlings don't get eaten by the crickets, slugs, snails, green caterpillars, hair black caterpillars, millepedes or salters lol... they have all discovered that we have a delicious smorgasbord on offer all year round.  Now if only the dogs would eat them!

Happy Gardening,
*hugs* Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment