Friday 1 August 2014

Rocketing Rocket!

Well on the 29th of July I planted a heap of seeds including Rocket... and today they are UP!?!  Lets hope that the Broccoli - Italian Sprouting; Mesclun; Turnip - Early Purple; Cabbage - Sugar Loaf; Cauliflower All Year and Leeks, Lyon Prizetaker aren't far behind!

Yesterday I planted Harlequin Carrots, Diggers Heirloom Carrot mix, Diggers 3 colour purple carrots, Baby Pak Carrots, Black Sapotes, Tomato Tigerella, Ginger, Turmeric, Chioggia Beetroot and Baby Beets.  Yesterday my first Stevia seed germinated so fingers crossed it survives AND my new Grape has burst into life with a tiny leaf!  By golly I think spring might be early!  My Mulberry has sprung also!

Today I transplanted and separated the strawberries into planters.  I found some very ripe Cape Gooseberries under the bush so squeezed out the seeds and popped them into a seed tray.  I am trying out some Cucumber seeds that are way out of date - Diggers Sweet and Striped and Lebanese Mini Munchers.  I over planted both of these as I doubt they will come up as they are over 3 years out of date.  Many of what I am planting are out of date but I figure if I don't plant them there is zero chance of germination... we might get one or two.  Finally before coming in I sowed some Gourmet Basil mix since the basil in the hydroponics is looking most unwell with the cold weather we have been having.

While we were at Jetto's Patch the boys tried some Tangelos and well they are now our FAVOURITE and they are EPIC.  So who am I to argue?  Hopefully I can get Mr T to dig a clump of Dietes out this weekend and we can pop this beauty against the fence.  This will take us to a Sub Lime, Imperial Mandarine, Dwarf Lemon and Tangelo in the citrus family in our garden.  Now we just have to get them all to hold fruit!


 As you can see the Flame Grape has sprung to life so I potted it up quick smart!

In the front bed are the Ruby Lou's that B planted... the bed behind are my Delawares... they just don't have the same oomph! I should have had Mr Green Thumbs plant both of them lol.

 The planters at the front have strawberries in which will hopefully up our production. The beds behind you can see my small Delawares finally poking their heads skyward and the bed of fingers crossed - out of date seeds.  Tatsoi, Mustard Mizuna, Mustard Giant Red, Pak Choy, Lettuce Yellow Leaf, Kale Tuscan Black and Red Spring Onions.  If any of them come up I will be happy, if not I will plant the bed out with more Beetroot and radish seeds.
 In the cups topped by bottles are my tigerella seeds, I am so excited to get these planted.  Reading my Diggers book they pack a punch in the taste steaks and one plant can produce 20kg of fruit!  So lets hope with our early start we can get some decent tomatoes and maybe even have enough to make Tomato Kasundi!













The Dwarf Pomegranate has put on new growth so I think it might be happy living under my kitchen window.


 I moved a shelving unit to the hydroponics corner to lift the Tomatoes skyward to hopefully help with their growth and fruit set (yes we might have to wait for warmer weather for fruit set but I can dream!).  The watercress got hammered by two boys and two dogs and it's still filling the box!  I don't think it will suffer having shade from the above shelf as Watercress likes creek and stream beds that are generally shaded by overhanging trees.  If it isn't happy I am sure it will tell me by walking lol.  If you have grown Watercress you know what I mean!!

As you can see growth is still happening in the hydroponics two of the rockets have gone to seed, the basil is looking the worse for wear!  The oregano, parsley and thyme are going great.  The self seeded cos lettuce and rainbow chard are complete superstars too.  We are harvesting daily not that you would know!  The strawberries are full of fruit and the rhubarb is none to sure what it is doing so I will keep you posted!  The very best thing about the hydroponics is working out the back and looking down to the corner only to spy boys and dogs standing pulling leaves off plants and filling their mouths!  You cannot get any fresher than that!  I cannot wait to expand to the rest of the fence.  Now I have seen how successful this is I am looking forward to implementing an aquaponics set up on the other 12 meters.  It will only have 4 levels however that will give us around 250 planting holes!  This will cover us for all our stir fry greens, rainbow chard and salad greens with room for growing!


Pop's Super Toms (Tomatoes) are flowering profusely.  They are not growing tall at the moment but they are very sturdy!



Even through the cooler weather we have been harvesting.  Lunchtime yesterday Radishes to go with salad and Lemongrass for a cup of tea!

Any my purple beans have decided it is NOT winter!  They are giving me beans?!?  Who am I to argue!

 In our quest for long carrots we are trying foam boxes.  We will see what happens.

Ok that's my update for today.. thanks for stopping by!

*hugs*
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment