Wednesday 14 May 2014

Hydroponics replanted!

It's been a while since we posted about the garden but it has been plodding along through the hot months.  We had harvested bucket loads of basil from the hydroponics but lost a lot of other plants due to the bilge pumps giving up - usually in the heat of the day.  Dear Husband went out and bought an Aquaponics Pump and we can now pump to the TOP pipe!

Anyway I will get back to current events... we just got back from America... before we went the pump had to be turned off and almost everything died (except the spring onions!).

Today I replanted...  it was a little disturbing as I washed off potting mix to find lots of top growth and barely any roots on the spinach and basil... I do wish they wouldn't force growth with foliar feeding of young seedlings... we will see what the survival rate is on these... cross your fingers! X

Side view so you can see the majority of the set up.

I am trying a few new things this time... up the top we have 5 strawberry plants... underneath Oregano.

On the top is Rhubarb - there is no information on Rhubarb in NFT hydroponics so we will find out if that is because it hasn't been done or it doesn't work.  I will keep you posted!  In the next pipe down is Thyme - first time in the pipe for me so let's see what happens there too :-)

In the next few levels we have a mix of Rainbow Chard (Coloured Silverbeet), English Spinach, Rocket, Thyme and Oregano.  I still have about 8 openings vacant if I can get my hands on some kale seedlings I will have all the greens we use in salads and a lot of our herbs.

After these photo's were taken I cleared a lot of the clutter, potting mix (a visiting dog emptied my pot plants all down the side) and kids stuff... rebuilt the wire shelves from my greenhouse and arranged them around the water reservoir... now I need some dark coloured plastic boxes to make grow beds into... I will probably use them for mint and Kang Kong.  That will take me one step closer to fish :-)

That's it from me today *hugs* Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment