Wednesday 28 May 2014

Holy Sweet Potato Batman!

Well I was mulching and weeding today (no rain for a while YAY!) and decided where I saw a little sweet potato I would have a bandicoot around and see if there were any more as the folks on Jetto's Patch have been talking about harvesting.

What I saw the other day   =>



Well to start with I thought perhaps I found a red house brick... but I poked around a little more then had to run to the front door and get Chris.... I could not believe it.... ready???



A 5.6 kilogram (12.34lbs / 0.88 stone) Sweet potato!!!  So my unruly sweet potato vine that is stabilising the sand is apparently quite happy!  When I got over my shock I found another one which was 1.016kgs!  I think I better check my vines more often hehe. I hope they are edible when they are big?!?!  It is all a big learning curve.


From there I couldn't help myself I went over to the vine next to the passionfruit - partial shade.... and found two smaller sweet potatoes!  The boys were so impressed when they came home from school they both actually helped dig grass from the garden with me! :-D  I think we need to find treasure more often!  Tom helped with the photos by holding up a dinner plate for some perspective... great idea!

So while I was outside I grabbed some mulch and threw it over the Sweet Potato Vine... I will give it a feed when finish the great grass battle.



Oh and I was worried I might not have planted the watercress correctly in the new hydroponics bed.... I think it is actually quite happy!  On the left is the day I planted it (Monday) and on the right is today (Wednesday)... I will be having salads before I know it!

 I have had to improvise a filter after my issue with the small particles of vermiculite and Perlite that decided to invade my whole system... it seems to be working too :-)  No I don't have my pond yet but the old dog bowl is working for now :-)

Happy Gardening *hugs*

Sarah




No comments:

Post a Comment