Wednesday 24 September 2014

Update... its all happening!

Well I have been soooo busy I haven't had time to post!  Between changing the back garden... more edibles here we come!  Cooking fresh food (nothing unusual here but more and more we are having straight from the garden fresh, FRESH food.  Building a new aquaponics system *and* expanding the front garden beds I just don't have enough hours in my day lol.  Oh and dealing with a teen and tween who either love each other or despise each other... lol

So we were having "Mum's Roast Chicken" so sage and onions for stuffing were required... The onions aren't huge but until I get the soil healthy and happy that is going to happen... a work in progress for a few years I suspect.  The chooks were delicious and the only issue is not enough stuffing as everyone wanted it lol.
On that note... it was bonus time sooo house / garden projects get done... my bit went on the garden, 4 bags or mortar for putting in garden edging with some very expensive stuff called bondcrete which will apparently make it all last longer.  Organic slow release fertiliser with trace elements to help fix my soils along with Rooster Booster for the garden and remaining grass and some organic citrus / fruit tree food for all our fruiting babies. Some hydroponics liquid for my veges... and not pictured: two garden arches (built them yesterday); 11 Six meter lengths of 90mm PVC pipes; Six 1.8 meter shelf supports; Marine Ply to cover my IBC; 90 degree 90mm corners. 15 degree 90mm pipe thingies; 90mm saddles, saddles for attaching the MDF to the IBC, screws and bolts lol so yes I think I should have shares in Bunnings... oh and some Red Kale, Siberian Tomatoes, Diggers Mini Capsicums, Chilli's and Marigolds.


Also with my lil bit of the bonus I got Olive Barrels from WA Barrels which we are using as giant pots for some of our trees to let them grow but keep them contained!  I don't think a bay tree or Fig tree are a great idea in the ground between two houses do you?  So my feuding boys took a break from fighting and got busy with power tools... family projects are awesome!  T got on the Angle Grinder and cut down the barrels; B hosed out the olives then started drilling drainage holes for me :-)

 I don't think a machine could do a more precise job!
 Oh and the other thing about teen and tween boys... they EAT a LOT!!!  Thankfully we are getting bigger harvests and veges are filling!
 So what did we get... dozens of green caterpillars... didn't eat them but fed a few to the bird... even he is sick of them!  Rainbow Chard and Silverbeet; Kale; Parsley; Coriander; Watercress; Oregano; Thyme; Rosemary; Sage; Mint; Basil Mint; Nasturtiums; Chives; Baby Lettuce; Tatsoi; Pak Choy; Mizuna; Two Onions Flowers: Nasturtium; Chives; Native Violet; Sage; Two Snow Peas; The first Broad Bean and some Dragons Tongue Beans.  For dessert:  Strawberries and a heap of Cape Gooseberries.
 So in most meals there is something from the garden... this was B's 'small' meal lol
B and I have been busy digging... the Wedding Bushes went to a lovely lady who will give them a home... the lilies went to the tip as they are a dime a dozen and no one will buy them lol... B had now dug the hole for the Curry Leaf Tree... not quite where I had in mind but I can work with that lol... and I can move the berries down this way too.  So that is so far... still loving the edging :-D

So still on my to do list:

  • Drilling hundreds of holes in pipes.
  • Securing the shelf supports and attaching the pipes.
  • Securing the Marine Ply on the IBC frame.
  • High pressure cleaning the IBC a second time as the boys missed a few spots.
  • Soaping up and washing out olive barrels.
  • Planting my big ole curry leaf tree - she is suffering in her pot.
  • Building the mint beds with the paving bricks and mortar.
  • Hydroponic Nutrient levels.
  • Replanting hydroponics... some of my plants have gone past it.
  • Moving and re-securing the berries.
  • Pulling out the old vege patch and installing the arches.
  • Planting the Bay, Fig and Grape into the barrels.

OK better stop now as my list is getting longer the longer I sit here hehe... off to the garden x

Happy Gardening!  *hugs* Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment